Are you a student?

student banner


I am a student, does that change my taxes?

In some ways, it definitely can. You have some unique tax savings opportunities available to you as a student. Your tuition can be claimed while you are in school, or you can opt to carry it forward to future years, or transfer it. There are other deductions and credits that can apply in unique situations. To determine what is best for your situation, we suggest sitting down with a tax professional this tax season to make sure you are taking full advantage of the opportunities available to you.



A couple things to consider as a student:

  1. Manitoba Advance Tuition Fee Rebate

Although the most significant portion of this credit has been discontinued going forward, you can still receive up to $500 back from the provincial government for 2018


  1. Tuition Transfer

If you have a spouse or common-law partner, you are able to transfer your unused tuition claim to their return. You are also eligible to transfer unused tuition amounts to your parents


  1. Exam Fees

If you pay any exam invigilator fees, you may be eligible to claim them as a deduction on your return


  1. Moving Expenses

If you moved more than 40km to be closer to your school, you may be eligible to claim your moving expenses as a deduction (see here for more information on claiming moving expenses)


  1. Grants, RESP income, and scholarship income

If you receive government funding, grants, or RESP income, you may be required to report them on your tax return


Call us to book your appointment at (204) 269-7460


Scroll to Top