New Parent?


I just had a child, how will this impact my taxes this tax season?

The biggest difference you will notice on your personal taxes this year is the addition of the Canadian Child Benefit (CCB). Calculated based on your annual net income, you may be entitled to receive a monthly tax-free benefit from the government.

You will not receive your CCB entitlement until you have filed your tax return. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also need to file their return before your CCB benefit will be calculated.





I adopted a child, can I claim any of my expenses?

Absolutely! You are eligible to claim the following expenses in the year your adoption is finalized:

  • Adoption agency fees
  • Immigration fees
  • Document translation fees
  • Court and legal expenses
  • Fees paid to foreign institutions
  • Travel and living expenses for the child and yourself (within reason)

If you adopted a child in a previous year, and did not claim your adoption expenses, book an appointment to sit down with us and we can discuss filing an amendment to include them.


As a single parent is there anything I should know about claiming my child?

Yes, there are a couple credits that are only eligible to be claimed by one parent in each year.

If you and your former partner are both providing support to your child, you need to decide which of you is going to claim them as a dependent each year. If you both attempt to claim the credit, CRA will disallow it on both of your returns


Call us to book your appointment at (204) 269-7460


A couple things to consider as a new parent:

  1. Medical expenses

Any medical expenses you incurred and paid for your dependent, you are eligible to claim on either your own, or your spouse’s personal tax return (click here to download Talbot’s medical expense worksheet).


  1. Tuition transfer

When your child begins post-secondary school, there is the option to transfer the unclaimed portion of any federal or provincial tuition credits from their return to either parent’s return.

This is especially beneficial in cases where your child is not working full time during their studies, or when you are funding a portion of their education.


  1. Sports and Fitness expenses

You are able to claim up to $500 in fees you paid for your fitness or recreational activities for your children until they are 16.


  1. Art expenses

If your child participates in arts or cultural programs, you can claim up to $500 of eligible fees paid for in the year.  Eligible programs include various music, language, cultural recreational programs.


  1. Childcare expenses

Most childcare, nanny, and babysitting fees you pay for your children you can claim as a deduction on your personal taxes.

For couples, childcare expenses need to be claimed on the spouse with the lower income for the year. (Some exceptions apply)

Scroll to Top