Protect yourself against fraud.
According to a CBC article, at least 60,000 Canadians have complained about being targeted by the phone CRA phone scam over the past five years. More than $10 million dollars has been stolen in that same time period, making it one of the largest cyberscams in Canadian history.
The CRA will never:
- Ask for personal information by email or text message
- Request payment by prepaid credit card
- Share your tax information with another person or organization, unless you have agreed that it can be shared
- Leave personal information on an answering machine
- Threaten or use nasty language
When in doubt, check My Account or call 1-800-959-8281
To learn more about your personal income tax and benefit information, and to manage your tax affairs online, go to canada.ca/my-cra-account.